I can’t believe that we are preparing for fall! I did not expect August to be a month of transition when I wrote my tending list. There was some craziness in the beginning as Caitie left for preseason at GWU, Stephen was competing in the USA Triathlon Nationals, we had Foxy for the week, and ended up spontaneously hosting Ronald and Joanne for a week (which was AMAZING as always, and we were so grateful to have them for the week.)
What was unexpected was Jared switching jobs half way through the month. Our schedule is polar opposite compared to what we had with his former job, and we did not transition as gracefully as we hoped. So many goals were not completed, but I have to remember that we did not anticipate a season of transition. As I head into this month, I kept things simple from my tending list design to the goals I have. My hope is that in this month I will be able to create a new routine that will enable me to find our “new normal.”
Last night I came across this quote and it really helped me remember that I need to let go of the old to embrace the new:
It (a cultivated life) looks like playing outside, saying no to an overcrowded calendar, letting go of the old to make way for the new when inevitable life shifts happen, and letting go of the need to have a plan all the time.Cultivate By Lara Casey page 71
So let’s jump into September!
My top priority is to read more and watch less TV!
- Bible Study with Maura: We both read the book It’s Not Supposed To Be This Way by Lisa Terkeurst last month and are going to go through the six week in depth study guide together
- Record 5 podcast episodes
- write 3 blog posts
- date night
- time with mentor
- Celebrate Family Members Birthdays!
- Go through the Hand Lettering 101 book
- Read Own Your Everyday
- Start Concert Prep for the Jonas Brothers Concert in November!!!
- Powersheet Prep/ Fall Refresh for October
- Love Jared Well: Spend intentional time together without our phones
- Water my Succulents
- No Spend: I want to be more thoughtful with our money and content with what we have. This no spend applies to extra things I want but don’t need (clothes, shoes, nail polish, pens, etc.)
- Check in with my Sisters
- Tend to Fruitful Friendships
- meh, meds (lol): This one just means that I organize meds, inventory my med cart, go to PT, and do some form of self care
- Quiet Time with Jared: we always pray together every night, but we want to make sure we are in the Word together too; yes, I know this has been a daily goal for like two months. Now that we are creating a new routine, we are building this into our routine. My goal is 3-5x a week, but we will see what happens
- Attend or Watch Church
- Time with God: as you know my time with God has changed drastically over the past year. Now my time with God includes: Write the Word Journal, 100 Promises Journal, Time of Prayer, and Reading my Bible.
- Read: I want to read everyday
- Downtime at 11: This means that after 11 pm I go to bed and am not watching tv, scrolling on social media, or playing games on my phone. The only thing I can do after 11 pm is listen to music, use my Bible app, or read on my kindle. (Pro Tip- if you are like me and struggle to stay accountable to a screen related goal, I suggest going into your settings to the screen time, set your downtime limits, and have your spouse make the passcode. That way you can’t cheat even if you want to!)
- Choose Joy: The past two months I have been embracing each day by celebrating tiny victories and logging a memory from each day. I will still be logging one victory from the day in my quarterly “celebrate victory” wildcard page I made for the summer refresh. I am changing it up by logging a way that I chose joy instead of also logging a memory from the day. A couple days in this is already proving to be difficult, but every day we got tons of tiny opportunities to choose joy over gossip, anger, stress, pain, inconvenience, frustration, and disappointment. I want to get better about intentionally watching for ways I can choose joy.
Well that’s my tending list for the month! I can’t wait to see all the God will do in this month!