Happy New Year!!! If you were here with me, or listened to the first part of the “here we goal again” episode on the Chronically Cultivating podcast, you would know that I am ringing my cowbell in excitement!
The end of 2019 did not go the way I planned. The last two weeks are completely blurry, due to unpredicted health challenges. When I say blurry, I mean blurry as in I have had to ask Jared to let me know what I got for Christmas…. twice because I don’t remember, and I still don’t remember now that I have recovered. This might make it hard to write thank you cards… or make our Christmas thank you’s very general this year, you have been warned. Anyways with all of this going on, I wasn’t able to finish my powersheets prep work, let alone get my January Tending List done before the 1st. This has not happened since I started Powersheets in 2018.
At first I felt defeated, but then I came to truly understand the truth that cultivate preaches which is there is NOTHING magical about January 1st. It’s just the first day of the year, the first day isn’t what matters it’s about how I spend the next 364. So when I was clear headed on the second, I got back in it, and today my goals are complete. So if you wanted a look into my powersheets, well you found the right place!
This year I am going to share some of my favorite powersheets pages, but also my goals and take you step by step through one of my goal action pages.
This year I decided to try color coding the prep work, at some point I will get into what I liked and didn’t, but it was something new to try. I did everything in black and white and then color coded after I finished the 2020 Goal Ideas page, this year I was not at a shortage of goals ideas. I also used stickers in my prep work and goal setting pages which was SO much fun, and I am so glad I was challenged to do that this year.
This year, I am focusing on growing in Jesus and taking the focus off of myself so multiple times throughout my prep work I crossed out “my” and reworded my goal.
In the following pages, I did some seriously honest self reflection. The greatest truth that came out of all of it is that,
The only title I need is being a Daughter of the King, and the truth is still the truth even if nobody believes it.
The good things page is always one of my favorites, there were so many good things this year! Yes, there has been hurt, but there has been so much joy along the way, taking time to reflect on that is important.
Because there were so many good things I chose the 11 top ones and then filled in 4-5 good things on the other lines. Some of my favorites were: seeing the Jonas Brothers, learning to fall in love with reading again, launched the Chronically Cultivating podcast, so much laughter, gracefully being moved to homecare, learning to celebrate big and small victories, our family retreat we did before Holy Week, completed three Write the Word journals, reflected on one year of marriage, finding that powersheets are more fun and life giving with friends, and there were relationships restored.
God is so faithful.
Then there is my FAVORITE PAGE OF ALL, I track the lessons I learn throughout the year and this to me is one of the most important pages. I don’t want to have to keep learning the same lessons over and over again, I want to learn from my past. This is the perfect page to make that happen.
The greatest lesson I learned was that, “I can do hard things for You Lord, even this.” I learned this through grieving the loss of and letting our business go this year.
Then the gratitude page, it was hard to narrow down so rather than thinking about it too long I just went for it.
They added to the big picture page, which I loved, by putting in what will and won’t matter to you in the long run. After almost losing my life in 2014, and living with a progressive chronic illness, I personally don’t like to think about where I will be when I am 80, so I crossed it out and just wrote: where do I want to be when you look back on life?”
This page revealed way more to me than I imagined… and I added one funny stupid disagreement Jared and I had about stamps this past year haha.
Then we get to another important page, the yes and no page. I get a lot of my inspiration for this page from the “lessoned learned” section. Another thing that I tried new in my powersheets was for each of the “no and yes’s” match up. For example, “I’m saying no to circumstantial joy and yes to His joy.”
Then the most anticipated page of prep work… word of the year!
Mine is Grow!
I chose this word because when I was praying over my prepwork in December the word grow just kept entering my prayers. I found it also happened to be synonyms of a few of the words that were on my potential words of the year list. Then after seeing the word, grow, continue to be an active verb in my prepwork- it just fit. Along with picking a word, I chose a verse of the year and a quote as well.
WORD OF THE YEAR: Grow
VERSE OF THE YEAR: “Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.” Colossians 2:7
QUOTE OF THE YEAR: And while you were waiting you are not just waiting, you are growing into who you were meant to be. And maybe some of the things you wanted were actually rooted in something deeper that went beyond what you could see, and maybe you will start to see those deeper, richer things, when you focus more on growing and less on worrying, letting everything fall into place the way it’s supposed to- even if it ends up looking different than what you were expecting. -MHN
Alright, you have waited long enough, here are my 2020 goals!
I have four goals this year: Grow in God, Grow something bigger than me, Grow into who He has called me to be, and Grow in joy, grace, and fellowship.
Goal: Grow in God
Why: Because He needs to change my heart before I help others
Mini Goals: cherish His Word, savor mentorships, and practice the sabbath.
Verses this Goal is Grounded In:
- Proverbs 2:1-6: My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Goal: Grow Something Bigger than Me
Why: it will be more life-giving +fulfilling than I could have ever dreamed because His plans are better!
Mini Goals: change my social media, collaboration over competition, and lead the Spoonie Study
Verses this Goal is Grounded In:
- Luke 9:23-25: Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?
- Philippians 2:3-4: Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
Goal: Grow into who God has called me to be
Why: I will not miss out on what God has meant for me
Mini Goals: Find my why, worship in + through everything, and celebrate all of it
Verses this Goal is Grounded In:
- Colossians 3:17: And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
Goal: Grow in Joy, Grace, and Fellowship
Why: because who I am at home is who I am at home- if I am going to preach grace, joy, and fellowship I need to live it
Mini Goals: grow a joy-filled marriage, grow a grace-giving heart, grow a love for fellowship
Verses this Goal is Grounded In:
- Colossians 4:6: Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- Colossians 3:12-14: Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.
So there you have it! Those are my 2020 goals. You may be wondering how to set up an action page in your powersheets, well just to give you one more insider tip I am going to show you one of my goal action plans!
I am going to go through each part and giving you my tips on filling out the action page, it is one thing to have a goal but another to break it down into mini goals and action steps.
Your goal for this year: to grow in God *TIP start with a verb! This year I found a way to incorporate my word of the year in the start of each goal!
Why: because He needs to change my heart before I help others *TIP this is the most IMPORTANT part if you don’t know you WHY you won’t follow through
The positive effect taking this action on this goal may have on me and others:
- I will be more like Jesus + He changes EVERYTHING!!!
- others will want to know Jesus because I am displaying His truth, joy, love, and grace.
- *TIP I try write one bullet point about how this might effect me and then another for how it might effect others
What is at stake if I don’t start this goal: I will get to heaven and see how I wasted what He gave me and asked of me *TIP Be honest with yourself
Thinking about where you are now- your starting point- and where you want to be at the end of this year, what needs to happen in the in-between?: I left this space pretty loose on every single action plan but just placed a bunch of ideas there *TIP: you don’t have to use the timeline if you have a looser goal, I only used it here on only one goal which was my bible reading goal.
Mini Goal #1: Cherish His Word
- starting step: Read the Bible in Two Years
- I am reading it front to back and using the Canonical Five Day Plan
- starting step: Ask Questions #dad
- I want to ask questions are I read the Bible and I use commentaries… and my favorite “on-call” pastor, my amazing Dad
- starting step: Document all He shows me
- I am using a journal I had coiled to take notes
- I am also using the Write the Word Journals and hope to go through the: Cultivate Worship, Cultivate in the Garden, Cultivate the Fruit of the Spirit, and Cultivate Gratitude (which has since been refreshed to Cultivate Contentment) Journals this year
Mini Goal #2: Savor Mentorship
- Meet with and learn from Cynthia
- Cynthia is the most wonderful mentor I have been blessed to have in this stage of my life! She was exactly the person I spent over two years praying for and God delivered so faithfully!
- The other mentors and encouragers that I have in my life that I meet with at least once a month are: Diane, Steve Sr. (my grandfather), Pastor Steve (my dad), Pastor Tim, and Deb (my mom) and yes you can in fact have christian mentors and encouragers that are family!
- Follow “Social-Media-Mentors” Blogs + Podcast
- S-M-M is a term I use for people who inspire me but I have never met. They are people who I follow online, learn from, and that challenge me to grow closer to God. Following on instagram isn’ t enough (although there is GREAT content to be found there) I want to read what they have to say and hear the truth they have found in Jesus.
- Express Gratitude for them (all my mentors, the in-person and online mentors!)
Finally the Notes area. I used this space to meditate on the verses I anchored the goal in and pray over the goal.
That’s it! That is this year’s inside look at my 2020 powersheets! What are your goals for 2020? If you are using powersheets what was your cover choice? obviously I’m #teamblooms!
Don’t have your powersheets yet? Well my friend you best head over to the Cultivate shop. Out of the four cover choices the Blooms is the only one still in stock- which rocks because them we can have both be #teamblooms! I wouldn’t hesitate because once they sell out of the 2020 year long powersheets they do NOT restock.